Mediatonic is a leading independent developer, focused on building and operating live games.
We’ve been in business for 13 years and with a development team of over 120 people, we’re one of the largest independent studios in the UK.
With studios in both London, Brighton and Madrid, we’re committed to developing best in class titles that entertain millions of players.
We are looking for a Senior level Client Engineer to join our awesome team in London. You will be part of a world-class group of programmers building original games for a variety of platforms, including Xbox One, mobile and Steam. You will be responsible for planning and implementing game features and tools, and help the production team to bring game concepts to life. You will be passionate about games and understand how to leverage technology to make the magic happen. You’ll have a comprehensive understanding of hardware and system limitations, and be prepared to think laterally about how to achieve awesome gameplay and visuals. Being part of a multi-discipline team we’ll also expect you to keep abreast of technologies outside your area, and encourage you to share your own expertise with the rest of the team.
- Interpreting design requirements as well as the studio's creative aspirations
- Agree and implement strategy for project R&D, infrastructure, systems and features
- Analysing technical capabilities and resourcing requirements
- Helping identify and appoint new hires as well as develop team members
- Collaborate on the roadmap and sprint planning, providing estimates and technical plans
- Coordinate planning to ensure technology plans are robust and communicated to stakeholders, reporting progress both internally and externally
- Mentoring team members, giving feedback, setting expectations and delegating
- Collaborating with the Principal Engineering Team shaping best standards across the studio
- Act as ambassador for the studio both internally and externally
- Excellent programming skills in C# and / or C++, with an understanding and passion for readable, robust code and best practices
- Previous commercial experience in a game studio and / or commercial experience working in a large development team
- Familiarity with game engines like Unity (preferably) or Unreal
- Strong understanding of game development tooling and processes, art workflow, performance optimization and memory management
- Experience using source control systems such as Git & Perforce
- Strong maths skills
- A strong passion for making games
- Experience leading a project or mentoring a team
- Programming for consoles including an understanding of TCRs/TRCs and the certification process
- Experience with modern graphics programming, including Cg/HLSL and/or compute shaders, is a strong plus.
- Experience with mobile SDKs (Android & iOS) and frameworks (e.g. 2DToolkit).
- Understanding of client / server communication and data serialisation.
- Understanding of 2D and 3D animation principles.
- Experience with build scripts and systems i.e. Jenkins, Team City, Ant, Make etc...
- Experience using and scripting common art and 3D software packages (Photoshop, Illustrator, Blender...) is a plus.
We recruit based on merit and actively encourage a diverse range of applicants.