Mediatonic is a leading independent developer, focused on building and operating live games.
We’ve been in business for 13 years and with a development team of over 120 people, we’re one of the largest independent studios in the UK.
With studios in both London, Brighton and Madrid, we’re committed to developing best in class titles that entertain millions of players.
As a Junior VFX Artist your primary function is to use (and learn to use) traditional and computer
software packages to create outstanding visual effects for video games, as well as supporting more
senior VFX Artists in game development. On a day-to-day basis you will be answering briefs supplied by
Art Leads, Game Design and/or Creative Narrative - all while under close supervision of more Senior,
Principal and Lead Artists, Game Leads from all disciplines, plus the Studio Art Director.
• A Junior VFX Artist demonstrates raw talent and a willingness to work hard and a desire to
• Demonstrates the principles of animation and creation of VFX, ideally in both 2D and 3D
• Demonstrates awareness and aptitude of art fundamentals (line, colour, form, shape, texture,
rhythm, perspective, value, lighting & composition)
• Solid drawing skills
• Proficiency in animation/VFX software (e.g. Maya, Photoshop, Unity)
• Able to create VFX according to mentor's specification
• Processing and modification of production assets under direction
• Avid player of games
• Technical understanding regarding the implementation of VFX within Unity
• Understanding of the limitations of creating VFX within a game environment
• Some experience of Houdini, Anima2D or Spline would be a bonus
• Experience with After Effects (or similar video editing software) would be a bonus.
• Infographic/motion-graphics experience would be a bonus
• Shader creation skills would be a bonus
Working with us
Above all, we take pride in crafting games that challenge and inspire us and we invest in technology that will keep us at the forefront of the industry.
We hire experts to take on the biggest creative and technical challenges we can get our hands on and we invest in our people for the long term.
Working in an ambitious teams we strive to create an open, down-to-earth workplace.
Our studios are based in the heart of central London and Brighton and both have their own games rooms and fully stocked fridge. You’ll find plenty of social events and activities during and outside of work time including game and pizza nights, game jams, tech talks, pub trips and office lunches.
By applying to this role you expressly make the following representations and warranties and give your consents as described below:
Mediatonic collects your personal data for the purposes of managing Mediatonic’s recruitment related activities as well as for organizational planning purposes globally. Consequently, we may use your personal data in relation to the evaluation and selection of applicants including, for example, setting up and conducting interviews and tests, evaluating and assessing the results thereto and as is otherwise needed in the recruitment processes including the final recruitment.
Mediatonic does not disclose your personal data to unauthorized third parties. However, being a parent company and having studios in multiple locations, Mediatonic has international sites and uses resources located throughout the world. You agree to the fact that to the extent necessary your personal data may be transferred and/or disclosed to any company within Mediatonic group of companies, including also transfers to servers and databases outside the country where you provided Mediatonic with your personal data. Such transfers may include for example transfers and/or disclosures outside the European Economic Area.