Freak Fandango (a Mediatonic company) are looking for a Lead Games Developer with exceptional technical and organisational skills. We want you to join us in growing a new studio and to play a fundamental role in developing it into a successful and highly creative games company.
The Lead Coder is responsible for the overall technical strategy of the studio as well as the hands-on execution of projects from concept to market and into live operations. As the studio expands you will also help scale and lead the code team to meet and exceed the demands of a growing organisation.
You will share responsibility for time, budget and quality on projects, as well as bringing the talent and passion needed to help make the company thrive.
- Interpret and execute project design requirements
- Improve existing project code and systems
- Collaborate on roadmaps and sprint planning by providing time estimates and technical strategies
- Ensure our technical proposals and progress can be clearly communicated to stakeholders
- Agree and implement strategies for company R&D, infrastructure and systems
- Analyse technical capabilities and identify resourcing requirements
- Help formulate the studio's overall structure and processes
- Excellent programming skills in C++ (and ideally C#)
- An understanding and passion for readable, robust code and best practices
- Experience with mobile SDKs (Android & iOS) and frameworks, ideally with at least one title shipped on these platforms
- Previous commercial experience in a game studio and / or commercial experience working in a large development team
- Strong understanding of game development tooling and processes, art workflow, performance optimisation and memory management
- Experience using source control systems such as SVN, Git and Perforce
- Experience leading a project or mentoring a team
- Strong maths skills
- A deep passion for crafting games
Desirable Skills and Experience:
- Experience with Cocos2D
- Understanding of client / server communication and data serialisation
- Understanding of 2D and 3D animation principles
- Experience with build scripts and systems (Jenkins, Team City, Ant, Make etc.)
- Familiarity with Unity (preferred) or Unreal
- Experience using and scripting common art software packages (Photoshop, Illustrator etc.)
What does this role offer?
- An opportunity to be a pivotal part of a new company, with the security of an established studio
- The autonomy to shape the technical framework of the studio and have a huge impact on future games
- Influence on aspects of our games outside of a purely technical role
Mediatonic is a one of the UK's largest independent game makers with around 100 exceptionally talented and seriously hardworking people who devote their careers to crafting awesome original games.
We produce around three new titles every year and deliver them to millions of players with backing from the UK’s top industry veterans and carefully selected partners.
You’ll find our games on Smartphones, Console and PC platforms being enjoyed by millions of people all over the world!
About Freak Fandango
You will be working for a new studio within the Mediatonic family. You’ll have the opportunity to be part of its formative years and have a real say in its future – the excitement of a start-up with the stability of an established company.
We recruit based on merit and actively encourage a diverse range of applicants.